I Am The Sun and He can Go Suck It

I Am The Sun and He can Go Suck It
Get Your Grey's Fix

Disclaimer

Grey's Anatomy Addicts in in no way affiliated with ABC TV, Shonda Rhimes or Grey's Anatomy. It is a personal blog containing news and gossip, my personal opinions and that of the fans. All photos have the correct attribution added.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Shonda Rhimes Finally Opens Up About Grey's Anatomy Season 10






Well Grey's Fans, it's about time. An interview from the Hollywood Reporter was posted while I was sleeping over here in Australia and Shonda Rhimes has given the fans plenty of reason to tune in on the 26 Sept; well I believe so anyway. 

Shonda Rhimes has also talked about the upcoming 200th episode. Parts of this interview are below:


When Grey's Anatomy returns for its 10th season in September, the ABC medical drama will be inching toward what showrunner Shonda Rhimes described as a "momentous" 200th episode.

While that milestone may serve as a reminder that the clock on the show's shelf life may be winding down, the prolific producer doesn't see the network's No. 1 drama wrapping up any time soon. Instead, Rhimes tells THR that her third-year drama Scandal -- a breakout hit in its Twitter-fueled sophomore season -- has helped reinvigorate the ensemble drama starring Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh.

The Hollywood Reporter catches up with Rhimes at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour to discuss Grey's Anatomy's future, her approach to the season 10's split run, the 200th episode and whether she'd ever consider featuring a lesbian divorce story. 

The Hollywood Reporter: ABC's Paul Lee said he'd like to see Grey's continue for as long as you'd like it to. How long would you like it to run?

Shonda Rhimes: I would like to continue 
Grey's for as long as I continue to have some story that I can come up with to tell. I feel like when it's time to step away and be done is when somebody else has taken over and I can't do this anymore. That's the time to step away. I don't want everyone to say, "It was great until …" or "I loved it until and it doesn't feel the same." To me, it's letting the characters evolve and telling really interesting stories.

THR: How has Scandal helped reinvigorate Grey's?

Rhimes: I don't know that one thing influences the other, in a weird way. What's nice is that they're such different worlds. With 
Private Practice, which I loved writing, the first couple seasons were hard because I felt like I was in the same world, and it was about figuring out how to make it a different world. Scandal is such a different world that it doesn't have anything to do with Grey's. I liken it to this: I have a 10-year-old and almost 2-year-old child at home. At work, I have a 10-year-old and a just 2-year-old. You get to do things differently with the younger child, and you get reinvigorated because you need to exercise a completely different muscle, and that makes you stronger. But it's not about one being better than the other or being helpful. It's about getting a whole new experience.

THR: Both Grey's and Scandal are doing split-run seasons. How are you approaching both runs differently because of the format?

Rhimes: I'm not approaching them differently. Last year, I asked for us to have a split-run. I really wanted us to have a split run. For 
Grey's, we literally said, "We're going to split the season into two" last year and we're going to pretend we have season 9A and season 9B, and we're not going to think of 9B until we're done with 9A, which is how you do a whole season anyway. For Scandal, we did the same thing. We did 13 episodes and then we're going to figure out the back nine. This year, what's nice is that we know that that can also happen, and it's going to happen consecutively, without reruns which is very exciting. We're going to do the first 10 of Scandal and then the back 12 of Scandal. We're going to do 12 and 12 with Grey's, and it's going to be great to tell a story the way it makes sense to tell a story.

THR: Will both the mid season finale and the actual season finale have the same intensity that they did on both shows last year?

Rhimes: Absolutely. With Grey's, up until last season, we were always saying let's work to the 24th episode. But with Scandal, we said we were going to work toward the 13th episode and figure the rest of it out. This season, I've only pitched to episode 10 [of Scandal] and we're going to figure the rest out when we get there.

THR: For Grey's Anatomy, do you have the end of 12 and 24 in mind?

Rhimes: I know the end of 12; 24 I don't know, and that provides me with a lot more relief and security. When we were doing season eight and I didn't know it was going to end -- I didn't know who was going to stay and who was going to go -- it was really difficult to plan all those episodes. Now I plan to episode 12 and we have a [midseason] finale, and then we're going to figure out the end of the season. It's a lot better.

THR: The 200th episode is coming up early in season 10. Are you going big for the episode?

Rhimes: I don't know how many shows have gotten to 200 episodes; it's really rare. When we did the 100th, I thought it had to be super special. One of the things I want to do in our 200th is show how our interns have grown up; 200 episodes later, they're all bad ass surgeons, which is really huge. It's also just about remembering how great everybody is. I like to have people in black-tie, because that's always nice. We have a story that we're telling that I feel really good about. I feel excited about it. It feels momentous for us.

THR: Callie (Sara Ramirez) has now been cheated on a second time. How will her response be different this time than it was with George (T.R. Knight)?

Rhimes: It's not necessarily how it's different but how this time is influenced by the fact that she's been cheated on before by a spouse. That's the big deal. It's one thing to be cheated on by a spouse once, it's another thing to have it happen a second time. How does the first time affect you? We're going to get to see a very interesting journey for both women. I'm excited about it. I feel like one of two things will happen: They'll end up getting back together and we'll see this journey and watch them fight through it, or they won't and we'll get to see what happens when there's more than one major lesbian relationship on a big television show.

Go to The Hollywood Reporter to read the rest of this interview.





So Grey's fans, what did you think of this interview? Are you excited for Season 10? It would seem as though Calzona have a lot of work to do, as well as Cristina and Owen. Hit the comments with your thoughts or join me on our new Twitter page or on Facebook


This blog post contains an excerpt from the Hollywood Reporter's interview with Shonda Rhimes, to read the entire interview, please follow this link.


Don't forget that Season 9 of Grey's Anatomy on DVD is released at the end of this month. Time to pre-order your copy at Amazon.






Visit my website: Janelle Coulton; Freelance Writer 



All photos have a Creative Common's licence and are linked to the original source.



If you would like to place a link to your site when commenting, I would be happy to link-share or back-link from my site to yours and vice-versa. Thanks for visiting today. 


Copyright © 2013 Janelle Coulton

No comments:

Post a Comment